If you read Tarot, what kind of a Tarot reader are you?
Or, if you get your cards read regularly, what kind of a Tarot reading do you expect or desire?
I’ve been thinking a lot about this, especially over the past year. I’ve been reflecting on the types of readings that I love to do, the clients who I really love to work with, and how I can provide the most value with my readings.
When I first started reading the cards, I felt pressure (mostly from within myself) to bend my reading style to the person I was reading for. This came out of a desire to please, to give them what they needed, and to HELP them as much as I can. I still have the desire and aim of providing the most helpful reading that I can, but now I am confident enough to do that in my own way.
When I work with my Tarot students, I ask them to consider this question, “What kind of reader are you?”.
This takes time to discover, and hone, and revel in. This is the beauty of Tarot, there are so many different and wonderful ways to read the cards. This is not engineering or accounting, it is art and magic! If you simply emulate someone else, or worry that your style isn’t the right one, you’re doing yourself a disservice.
If you read the cards, I encourage you to ask yourself this question.
And, if you love getting your cards read, before you choose a reader, consider their approach and if it resonates with you.
This is me (the abridged version, we all have universes within us, don’t we?):
- My style is collaborative. I create the sacred space and energetic container, I interpret the cards and act as a guide, but a reading with me is a conversation between you, me and the cards. I respect your privacy, and your boundaries, and I understand that you need to trust me before you reveal your personal stories, but I’m not going to do a completely cold reading. Let’s get down to the good stuff as quickly as we can.
- I am honest and realistic and practical, but I always look for the bright side, the inspiring, and the helpful in the cards. I’m not afraid to tell you the harder truths, but in my experience, there is always something good to be found in the cards. And in life.
- My approach is quite gentle rather than blunt, and I’m an excellent listener and I ask good questions. I’ll tell you the truth, but I’m not going to tell you what to do.
- I love to give homework, action steps or rituals that you can do after the reading. I won’t check up on you to see if you’ve done it though. 🙂
- I believe that the power is in your hands. The cards can help you to see yourself clearly, in all your glory, and help you to understand what will make you happy and what really motivates you. The cards can give you a sense of the energy around you, and the opportunities, and how to achieve your dreams. BUT, I don’t think that everything in our lives is written in stone before we come into this existence. I don’t think that the cards just tell you things that are going to happen whether you like it or not. They give you information that you can use to make great decisions and capitalize on the resources at your disposal, they don’t take away your free will.
- Further to that last point, my readings help you look within, and connect with your own divine source, rather than predicting what will happen to you next week. This is a tricky subject, because I believe that the cards can give us an idea of energy and trends and timing and how to work with it, so predictive in that sense, but not predictive in the sense that you have no control over your own life. The cards can help you to work with and navigate the energies around you, which is a powerful thing.
- I’m not edgy, or cool, or trendy. I’m actually a sensitive introverted soul, a huge nerd, and a romantic at heart.
- My clients tend to be mature, professional, self-aware people who have worked hard, figured out many important things in their lives, and are now looking for deeper meaning in it all. They want to understand how to live as their authentic selves, love themselves madly, and achieve their own dreams. They want more and they know it is there for them.
- I never judge my clients, or impose my own opinions and beliefs. It is an honor to have the opportunity to read the cards for you. And, you are beautiful.
What kind of Tarot reader, or Tarot client are you?
These are questions that are worth asking yourself. I know that they will lead you to a greater appreciation of yourself, and your strengths, and your motivations, and your beliefs, and your challenges. And, this process will help you to get more depth out of your Tarot reading, whether you read for yourself or have your cards read by a professional who you resonate with.